Independent Learning Assignment
Independent Learning after school sessions will start week beginning 16th September 2013
Independent Learning (also known as homework) is a provision which supports your child’s progress both at school and during their studies at home. Parents, students and staff were all involved in the development of the policy, and we hope that with your support, it will continue to have a successful impact on your child’s academic progress. Independent Learning has become a very positive aspect for the students at the Academy. A summary of the main points of the policy is outlined below:
- Independent Learning is academically based and will prepare all students for their half-termly assessments.
- All Independent Learning written work is to be completed in your child’s homework exercise book unless stipulated otherwise, which must then be brought in to school for class discussion, assessment or class/peer/teacher marking.
- All Independent Learning for every subject will be posted on the website on a half termly basis, with three pieces to be submitted each half term at intervals.
- Additional pieces of Independent Learning can be set by individual teachers. These will also be accessible on the school website. This enables teachers to respond to the changing needs of their students in the course of the half term. The teacher will make it clear if there is an expectation to complete the new task instead or in addition to other tasks on the webpage.
- For Year 7 and 8 students, the recommended total is 6 to 8 hours Independent Learning per week. For students in Years 9, 10, 11 and 12 this amount is 8 to 10 hours per week.
- Every half term your son/daughter will be awarded a level or grade for every subject. The more Independent Learning completed, the better the progress towards their target grade or level is expected. Details of your child’s levels and grades will be posted home to all parents every term.
The following measures have been put in place to assist all students with their Independent Learning and to develop their Independent Learning skills. Please encourage your son/daughter to attend the sessions after school:
- Independent Learning lessons will take place from 3.00-4.00pm on Mondays, Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays; 3.00-5.00pm on Fridays. Please refer to the Academy Club Timetable.
- Independent Learning will commence the week beginning Monday 16th September 2013.
- The uniform and behaviour policy will have to be adhered to during Independent Learning lessons.
- A teacher or a member of support staff will be supervising the lesson. They will be able to help students with their Independent Learning but will not be teaching a new lesson.
- Attendance is optional, although students will be expected to attend if they are not achieving their target levels or grades. The learning completed will count towards the recommended six to eight hours Independent Learning per week.
- Students are also encouraged to engage with their learning by researching further areas of interest, or studying areas of difficulty. All students are advised to read a variety of genres as often as possible in their own time - at an appropriate level of difficulty.
Independent Learning is only useful if both the school and parents monitor the quality of the work completed.
I would be happy to discuss any aspect of Independent Learning during the parents’ forums, details of which you will find in ‘dates for your diary’ in the parents’ section of the website. Alternatively please contact Mr John Dixon Vice Principal.
Dr C Tomlinson