FAQs For Parents
- What are the times of the school day?
There are four 85 minute periods in the day to maximise the learning experience.
0830 – 0900: Learning Guidance /Academic Mentoring (once only per week – you’ll be informed of the day)
0900 – 1025: Period 1
1025 – 11.50: Period 2
11.50 – 1210: Break
1210 – 1335: Period 3
1335 – 1405: Lunch
1405 – 1530: Period
For select Year 10 – 13s, there is also a compulsory Period 5 which runs from 1530 – 1630.
Some students from all year groups are also invited in for ‘Period 0’, from 0800 to benefit from extra catch-up classes.
- Is there a Parent/Teacher Association (PTA)?
This is now called Parent Council, and dates for the meetings will be on the Academy calendar. http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/504/parent-events
For more information, please contact the school office on 020 8859 0133.
- How can I get involved with the academy?
There are a variety of ways to get involved with the Academy including: attending SLT drop-in sessions, Parent Council meetings, Academy performances, regularly visiting the school website and following us on Twitter. We welcome feedback via email, letter or in person too.
- Is it okay to come into the office to ask questions or pay money?
- Can I see the Principal?
Of course. However, first try the member of staff directly responsible for the issue/enquiry you have.
- Who is the best person to contact about general questions?
Pastoral Managers are assigned to each year group to manage student well-being.
Pastoral Managers are:
- Year 7 Ms AIngram ext: 4019
- Year 8 Mr H Bailey ext: 4023
- Year 9 Ms B Osei-Bonsu ext: 4027
- Year 10 Ms K Barclay ext: 4022
- Year 11 Mrs J Bailey ext: 4020
- Year 12/13 Mrs N Thomas ext: 4018
- Safe Guarding Mrs S Galloway ext: 4021
For general queries, please speak to a member of the office staff.
- What is a ‘Learning Guidance Group’?
Learning Guidance replaces Tutor Groups. Each Learning Guidance Group has a small number of students, and meet once a week. The focus is on learning, and any issues that students may have. There is also an SMSC (Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural) curriculum delivered through these sessions. (More information about this can be found on the school website: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/501/subjects/subject/36/lg )
- I’m concerned that my child is unhappy – who is the best person to talk to?
Please contact the Pastoral Manager for your child’s year group to discuss any concerns.
- What if I have a query around uniform?
Please call the main office or the pastoral team and they will assist you with any queries
- What if my child’s shoes break?
Please send your son/daughter into school and the pastoral team will provide a spare pair for his/her use until you are able to purchase a new pair.
- What if my child has lost or forgotten his/her tie?
Your son/daughter can go to the pastoral office and borrow a tie for the day if they have forgotten or lost their existing one. New ties can be purchased at the main school office for £4.50. Please note: there is usually a sanction for a child forgetting his/her tie.
- How often does my child’s blazer get replaced if they are entitled to FSM?
Your child’s blazer will be replaced every 2 years if you are eligible for free school meals
Absence and Lateness:
- Will the academy contact me if my child doesn’t arrive at school?
Yes. The Attendance Team work to monitor attendance, and will contact you by phone or text if your child is absent and you have not called in. Please make sure that your contact details are up-to-date. You can contact the school office with any change of contact details on 020 8859 0133.
- Who do I tell if my child needs to be absent from school for a medical appointment?
Please contact the Attendance Officer on Extension 4032 if your student is going to be absent from school. Please note: medical evidence may be needed.
- My child has broken his/her leg – what should I do?
The school can provide a lift key, or arrange for the student to work in the referral room if needed. Please feel free to call your child’s Pastoral Manager to discuss further.
- What if I want to take my child on holiday during term time?
The school will not authorize any holidays during term time, and there may be a fine issued to parents if they decide to do so.
- When should my child arrive to school?
Your child must be in school no later than 8.50am. On days when your child has Learning Guidance, they must arrive before 8.25am.
- What is the sanction for arriving late to school?
Between 8.55am and 9.00am there will be a 30 minute detention.
Between 9.00am and 9.15am there is an hour detention.
After 9.15, the student in question will be sent to Seclusion for the day.
Students will receive a 30 minute detention if they arrive to Learning Guidance after 10 minutes.
Students will receive an hour detention if Learning Guidance is missed.
- What if my child is late because of the bus?
If there is an isolated reason for lateness, please contact the school.
- Will I receive a home visit from the Academy and/or police if my child is absent from school?
Yes, perhaps even if you have phoned in. This is intended to be a supportive measure. Often our parents struggle to get their children to school and our team can help here.
- How can I find out what level/class my child is streamed into?
Please attend Parents’ Evening regularly, and contact individual teachers for up-to-date information. Dates for Parents’ Evenings can be found on the school calendar: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/38/calendar
- Is it okay to email teachers directly?
Yes. There is a link on the school website that will allow you to do this. (The link is http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/348/staff-contacts) Please let Mr McMillan know if a member of staff has not returned your call or email within 24 hours.
- What if I am concerned about my child’s academic progress?
Please contact your child’s teacher or Pastoral Manager to arrange a meeting to discuss concerns.
- How will I know if my child receives a detention?
The Academy will contact you by text or phone if your son/daughter receives a detention for more than 15 minutes. Please ensure your contact details are up-to- date. You can contact the school office with any change of contact details on 020 8859 0133.
- I’d like to discuss my child’s behavior outside of school – who is the best person to speak to?
The Pastoral team are available to discuss any queries you may have and can direct you to the person most suited to support. Please be aware that we sanction students for misbehavior outside of school and outside school hours.
- What is ‘Referral’ and ‘Seclusion’?
‘Referral’ is for students who are sent out of class for poor behaviour or have received two negative behavior points. They complete classwork outside of the lesson.
‘Seclusion’ is for more serious behaviour incidents or where students return after an exclusion. Pupils complete work whilst being supervised by a member of SLT.
- After School Clubs – does my child have to attend every week or can they drop in?
You child is welcome to after school clubs whenever they want to attend. However, some extracurricular activities such as school performances may require committed attendance to avoid letting others down. A copy of the termly provision for extracurricular activities can be found on the school website: http://upload.reactcdn.co.uk/harris_secondary_greenwich/uploads/document/2_0_extra-curricular-timetable-autumn-term-9-15.pdf
- Who do I contact about homework?
Please contact your child’s teacher to discuss your child’s homework.
- I’m having an issue with frog - who do I speak to?
Please contact your child’s teacher to discuss concerns around FROG.
Contact details can be found here: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/348/staff-contacts
Free School Meals (FSM):
- My child receives free school meals, what else are they entitled to?
Your child is also entitled to a PE top, tie and blazer.
- How do I apply for FSM?
If you are entitled to income support then you can apply for free school meals. Please see the website for more details: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/456/free-school-meals-check-your-eligibility
- How do I apply for sixth form?
You can apply for sixth form via the Academy website which can be found here: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/527/6th-form-application-form
- How do I apply for a space during the academic year?
All in-year transfer requests are made directly to the Academy by completing an In-Year Admissions Form. Once you have contacted the Academy, the form can either be posted, emailed or hand-delivered. This needs to be completed and returned along with a copy of your child’s latest school report. For further information, please see the school website: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/491/academy-admissions
- How do I apply for my child to attend Harris Academy Greenwich in year 7?
For admissions into Year 7, parents and carers are required to complete an application form (known as the “Common Application Form” - CAF) which will be sent to them by their local authority. Please note: no applications direct to the Academy can be accepted. For further information, please see the school website: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/491/academy-admissions
- Who should I contact about my child’s SEN needs?
Please contact your child’s teacher to discuss queries around your son/daughter’s SEN needs. Alternatively, please contact our Assistant SENCO, Nikki Williams, for queries regarding Academy provision.
Contact details can be found here: http://www.harrisgreenwich.org.uk/348/staff-contacts