Harris Academy Greenwich Homework Policy
Purpose of Homework:
Homework is an opportunity for students to reflect on the learning achieved in school lessons and practice their newly developed skills and knowledge. Homework therefore enables teachers to check that learning and gain accurate data on where the students in the class are at, so that they may adapt their planning in light of this information. Homework provides the opportunity for the memorisation and interleaving of both current and past learning to ensure skills and knowledge stick.
- Reading – 30 minutes per night
- Self-Quizzing in practice books (Flip and Fetch) – one page of A5 per subject minimum
- Technology apps in maths and science to supplement self-quizzing (Tassomai and XIL) *specified year groups only
Organisation of homework
- Flip and Fetch homework will be set daily by class teachers from student Knowledge Organisers.
- Flip and Fetch homework will be completed in student Practice Journals.
- Each subject requires a minimum of one full page of work.
- Learning Guides will check the homework quantity each week. Students must have their Practice Journals with them in their Learning Guidance session.
- KS3 must complete 6 Flip and Fetch a week. KS4 must complete 10 Flip and Fetch each week as well as any extra homework from their GCSE subjects.
- Classroom teachers will check the quality of homework in lessons each week.
- Students will have a week to complete all of their Flip and Fetch homework.
- Homework club is available every day after school.
Non-Completion of homework:
- If a student fails to complete the correct amount of homework in a week or to the required standard then:
- A record is made on BROMCOM for both KS3 and KS4 students
- A centralised school detention of 30 minutes will be set